Friday, October 22, 2010

Artist Statement

For me, art is freedom. Whatever the medium, I lose myself the creation of something new. Creating just the right color for tree bark, or layering the paint to represent a field of grass in the fall, each piece of art is a part of me. Seeing something form under my hands is exhilarating.

My primary focus in my art is plein air, or “in the open air,” as it translates in French. I carry my paints, brushes, canvas and easel out to an area that happened to catch my eye, set up, and paint. Some paintings longer than others, but usually I lose track of time; I just watch the painting unfold. I start with an under painting of compliments in order to bring out the colors more vividly, getting down the structure and design of the painting. Then I start with the greens of the grass, the oranges or yellows of fall leaves, layering and adjusting the colors until I am satisfied. Then I go back and add details, small branches, texture in a sidewalk, small highlights and shades. There is no defined rule for when a painting is done. I just feel it. Then I bring it home and let it sit out for a while, and let it marinate. If I feel it’s necessary, I’ll add finishing touches, more highlights, or extra detail in an area.

When I work, I look for colors, light, shade, and try to recreate them in my own style. When I drive by a field I don’t see grass; I see oranges, yellows, purples, blues and greens. When I look up into a tree, I see planes of light and areas of shade, and my mind automatically switches to think, “how can I portray that color, or that light change.”

When I paint in plein air, I am reminded that I am a piece of a bigger whole. I am creating, mimicking the bigger Creator of us all, in my own style. When I complete a successful work of art, I feel I have captured a smaller, more humble piece of His bigger design.

No comments:

Post a Comment